Thursday, November 10, 2011

The Proof is in the Picture

I'm curious to know how clients feel about a lack of viewable content from a potential photographer.  I personally enjoy posting at least a couple of images per shoot I do, unless the very nature of the shoot is private, like many boudoir shoots are.  That said, I end up with a lot of viewable product for those interested in shooting with me to peruse and judge from.  When I'm shooting regularly, I'm posting regularly, and there is an obvious standard at which I'm holding myself to and that potential clients can expect similar results to live up to.

I've recently come across a lot of photographers that either a) post everything... including the bad stuff (which I'm not sure they realize isn't the best thing to do) or b) post next to nothing at all.  This is strange to me.  If you're working, shooting, you're producing, so where is the work?  Why am I not seeing viable, tangible results?  Or is it simply that the results aren't worth posting?  Or, in fact, are there no results to post because the hype is merely hype?  In a day where the market is flooded with half-rate photographers, this seems like a ridiculous tactic.  I'm not one to mince words, those that know me can swear to this.  I'm a no nonsense kind of girl and what I say, I mean.  The world of photography has become cut-throat and not when it comes to real competition, remarkably that's where bonds are formed, no, when it comes to false competition; those that wish to undercut the real talent in the photographic world.

So, is this a challenge?  Kind of, yes.  In those all too famous words of Jerry Maguire, "Show me the money!"

In other words, put out or get out.

No comments:

Post a Comment